Our Commitment to Sustainability
June 13, 2022 | Social Impact
At Colour Republic, we are truly dedicated to sustainable practices, environmental responsibility and strengthening the communities in which we live and work—devoted to making a real change in our world.
We are Flor Ecuador Certified®—guaranteeing the safety and health of workers, ensuring the efficient management of natural resources, establishing sustainable processes for the care of the environment, and complying with labor standards and legal norms that guarantee the well-being of our team.
Our sustainability is based on 3 main pillars
Taking care of the water, the land and the air—and every one of our employees and the communities we live in—is priority number one.
1. Environmental care
When we founded Colour Republic in 2004, our goal was to share the beauty and premium quality of Ecuadorian roses with the world. And since the beginning, sustainable growing practices have been important to our flower farming process. We are committed to protecting our environment—keeping our planet balanced every step of the way.
- We use eco-friendly systems to manage every resource in the power production process.
- We are in 100% compliance with the Ecuadorian environmental regulatory framework—one of the strictest in Latin America.
- We are pioneers in the development of new organic fertilizers and nutrients made with microorganisms that maintain our soils—resulting in well-balanced soil, fertile and rich in nutrients.
- 100% of our wastewater is treated and rescued.
- Rainwater is captured, stored and used to hydrate our crops.
- We partner with One Tree Planted and sponsor efforts nationwide to reforest our planet and provide education and awareness on the importance of trees to our environment.
- We are Flor Ecuador Certified®—which includes the measurement of greenhouse gases to achieve neutrality by 2030 as part of the Ecuador Carbon Zero National Program.
- We are experts in Ocean Freight Shipping—from Ecuador to the world.
2. We grow more than just flowers
We are truely commited to the well-being of our staff and in strengthening our community. We are continually creating more jobs with the highest labor standards.
- Consistent training plans for our employees allow them to achieve personal and professional growth, along with respect for our environment.
- Our flower farms are in Ecuador, a country with the highest living wage in Latin America — compensating our collaborators with fair wages, working hours and living conditions.
- From farmers to truckers to floral designers and warehouse managers — we are a major source of growing employment opportunities — both in Ecuador and across the U.S.
- We support gender equity and women-led families, with 46% of our team being women.
- 21% of our staff are over 40 years old.
- We meet 100% compliance with the Ecuadorian Labor Conditions Regulatory Framework.
- We support the government’s “Your First Job” program.
- We provide medical checkups for our staff that help them to maintain wellness — resulting in less than 1% of absenteeism due to illness.
- Our employees have maternity benefits that include 3 months of paid maternity leave.
- We offer tansportations to and from homes.
- We have strong occupational security and risk management programs.
- We provide nutritional meals for our employees.
3. Social responsibility
We know that our actions and commitment as a company leader will make a powerful impact and increase the possibilities of real change in our communities. This is why we are proud to sponsor Fundación Azulado, a non-profit organization created by Colour Republic's founders/owners that works to strengthen families and helps prevent child abuse and neglect.
With education, love, and an open heart, the Fundación program teaches parents to accompany their children on their way to becoming happy, confident adults who will continue to practice these skills with their families, focusing on their personal growth and family well-being.
Being sustainable isn't easy. It means we are constantly improving and putting in the hard work and dedication for continued growth. Our promise to you— we will never stop striving for positive change—leaving our world a better place with everything we do.
posted in: Social Impact