Our Commitment to Sustainability
September 25, 2023 | Social Impact
At Colour Republic, we are truly dedicated to sustainable practices, environmental responsibility and strengthening the communities in which we live and work — making a real change in our world.
We are Flor Ecuador Certified® — ensuring efficient and respectful use of natural resources, sustainable processes that protect and care for our environment, and that enforcing labor standards to guarantee the safety, health and well-being of our team.
Our sustainability is based on 3 main pillars
Taking care of the water, the land and the air — and every one of our employees and the communities we live in — is priority number one.
1. Environmental care
When we founded Colour Republic in 2004, our goal was to share the beauty and premium quality of Ecuadorian roses with the world. And since the beginning, sustainable growing practices have been important to our flower farming process and everything we do — reducing the impact on our planet and helping to keep it balanced every step of the way.
- We are in 100% compliance with the Ecuadorian environmental regulations — one of the strictest in Latin America.
- We pioneer development of sustainable, organic fertilizers and nutrients from natural microorganisms to maintain our soils, while eliminating 80% of chemical pesticides and 50% of fungicides.
- We use eco-friendly systems to manage every resource in the power production process.
- 100% of our wastewater is treated and rescued.
- Rainwater is captured, stored and used to hydrate crops.
- Our partership with One Tree Planted (OTP) supports national reforestation and provides education on the importance of trees to our environment.
- A new OTP program raises awareness of the crucial role pollinators such as honey bees play in our ecosystem.
- We are Flor Ecuador Certified® — which includes measurement of greenhouse gases to reduce our carbon footprint and achieve neutrality by 2030, as part of the Ecuador Carbon Zero National Program.
- We are experts in Ocean Freight Shipping — from Ecuador to the world — reducing transportation emissions.
2. We grow more than flowers
We are committed to the well-being of our staff and in strengthening our communities. We continually create more jobs, and with the highest labor standards.
- Consistent training allows employees to achieve personal and professional growth, along with respect for our environment.
- From farmers to truckers to floral designers and warehouse managers — we are a major source of growing employment opportunities — both in Ecuador and across the United States.
- We process our bouquets in the U.S., supporting local communities with jobs and opportunities.
- Our flower farms are in Ecuador, a country with the highest living wage in Latin America — offering fair wages and working conditions.
- We support gender equity and women-led families, with 46% of our team being women.
- We combat age discrimination, with 21% of staff over 40 years old.
- We meet 100% compliance with Ecuadorian Labor Conditions Regulatory Framework and support the government’s “Your First Job” program.
- We provide medical checkups for staff to help maintain wellness and prevent illness.
- Our employees access maternity benefits that include 3 months of paid maternity leave.
- We offer transportation to and from homes.
- We have strong occupational security and risk management programs.
- We provide nutritional meals for our employees.
3. Social responsibility
We know that our actions and commitment as a company leader make a powerful impact and increase the possibilities of real change in our communities.
This is why we are proud to sponsor Fundación Azulado, a non-profit organization created by Colour Republic's founders to strengthen families and protect our most precious resource — our children. As they grow their skills, discover their voice and build self-esteem, they help to build a stronger community!
With education, love, and an open heart, the Fundación program teaches parents to accompany their children on their journey to becoming happy, confident adults who will continue to practice these skills with their families — focusing on their personal growth and family well-being, while helping to prevent child abuse and neglect.
And a new partnership with the National Military Family Association helps to support military heroes and their families. By funding programs such as Operation Purple, we can help offer military kids a camp experience where they can connect with other kids just like them, who understand what it’s like for a parent to service in the military.
Being sustainable isn't easy. It means we are constantly improving and putting in the hard work and dedication for continued growth. Our promise to you: we will never stop striving for positive change — leaving our world a better place with everything we do.
posted in: Social Impact